Thursday, January 30, 2014

Waffle-a-thon

This weekend friends of ours hosted a waffle brunch on their beautiful yacht. I'm not gonna lie-having breakfast with dozens of friends and neighbors always tastes better on a yacht...but I digress. 

A few weeks ago they asked me to help them plan and execute this party, which I was more than happy to do.  In fact, I was psyched.  I got right to work offering suggestions for toppings and sides and offered to come over early Sunday morning to make the ones they decided on.

Before I continue, I have to mention that my friends just adopted a very handsome and totally lovable puppy who looks like this:


And so anytime I can go over to get loving from this handsome fella I jump at the chance.  He's such a love.  I want one of my own.  But he won't fit on our boat. :(

So-back to the waffles.  It was decided that we'd have fresh fruit with whipped cream (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and bananas) and that I'd make a bananas foster (butter, brown sugar, bananas and RUM) topping as an alternative to maple syrup.  In addition, I decided to make fried chicken and sausage gravy for anyone hankering for chicken and waffles.  My twist though was that I made MAPLE sausage gravy to bring it to the next level. 

Needless to say, it was a HUGE hit.  The party was on Sunday and people are STILL commenting how good it was.  Here's my waffle.  Half bananas foster, half maple sausage gravy and fried chicken-the best of both worlds.

I made boneless, skinless fried chicken by cutting up chicken breasts, soaking them in onions, cayenne and buttermilk overnight and then breading them, frying them, breading them again, frying them again, and seasoning them with a little extra salt when they came out of the fryer.  Delicious!
 
Since it was so popular, I thought I'd share my recipe here, for anyone still reading and cooking...enjoy!

Ingredients:

1# Raw Pork Sausage, Browned  (I used Jimmy Dean Sage)
3 T. Unsalted Butter
3T. All Purpose Flour
3 C. Milk
1/4-1/2 C. Real Maple Syrup

Method:

1.  Brown sausage in a large sauté pan.  Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve for later.  Do NOT drain the fat.
2.  In the same pan you browned the sausage in, melt the butter over medium-low heat.  Add the flour and whisk to combine.  Continue whisking and cooking flour (roux) until it becomes golden in color.
3.  While whisking, slowly add the cold milk to the roux.  Continue whisking until mixture is combined, not lumpy, and thick.
4.  Add the sausage back into the pan and stir to combine.  Remove from heat.
5.  At this point, I moved the gravy to a bowl because the pan was quite full, but if your pan is large you don't have to do that for this next step.  While stirring, add in 1/4 C. of maple syrup.  Taste and add more if you like it sweeter.

Serve over biscuits or chicken and waffles.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Patty said...

Wow! the waffles, the chicken, the fruit all sound so yummy! Impressive indeed :)